Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Externship - Weeks 1 and 2

So, I have officially been working at my externship site for 2.5 weeks now and I could not be happier! I have such an amazing chef that I want to learn so much from, some great co-workers who I get along with and plenty to do at all times. It has definitely not been a walk in the park, but I am loving every minute of it. Today I was told by the Assistant Pastry Chef that I put his faith back into interns since I was doing so well. That totally made my day! Also, our Executive Pastry Chef seems to notice how hard I am working at this, so it is really nice for it to not go unnoticed. Since I am working for a catering company, we tend to produce products in MASSIVE bulks. I could make a batch of creme brulee for a small party with only 25 people or make it for a huge event and need to make 900! Needless to say, it is quite different than the smaller quantity producing and slower pace of my classes at school. But it is great because I am able to work on my speed here, which I noticed was the main thing that I wanted to work on as a personal goal before going back to school. Being able to create a high quality product that not only looks great, but tastes great also, while doing so in a timely matter is something that I want to master. I don't want to just simply get faster if the quality of my product will suffer. 

I am on the custards and mousses station first, which is where all of the interns start out. However, I get to work with people at other stations all of the time whenever they need some extra help and I am finished with my production list for the day. This is a great time for me to see other people's styles of producing various products and to learn through them. I think that I have definitely picked the right extern site for me. I am getting the exact learning experience that I had hoped for while also being an important part of the team and creating great products.

Center piece made for an event and shown at a client's tasting

Sugar showpiece that my chef made and Christmas tree made from cookies for a client's tasting

Pumpkin-Ginger Mousse with fresh whipped cream, cinnamon and candied ginger

S'mores pots with graham cracker crumbs, chocolate mousse 
and toasted marshmallows in mason jars

 S'mores Pot de Creme with graham cracker crumbs, 
dark chocolate pot de creme and toasted fresh marshmallow topping

Timbales of chocolate mousse and chocolate sponge covered 
in ganache and coated with praline crunch

Ice cream sandwiches made from spice cake and pumpkin ice cream

 Chocolate Pot de Creme with fresh whipped cream and cocoa nibs

Blueberry Tarts with lemon coconut cake topped with lemon rinds

Vodka infused chocolate mousse with raspberry compote and topped 
with fresh whipped cream and raspberries

Cheesecake shooters with graham cracker crumbs, cherry compote and cheesecake

Layers of hazelnut creme brulee, pumpkin cheesecake 
and carrot cake coated in praline crunch


Individual cheesecakes topped with lemon rinds and gold paper

 Plated dessert that I got to help the chef with for a client's tasting

Plated dessert for another client tasting

CRATES AND CRATES OF MOUSSE! =)

Triple Chocolate Mousse with white chocolate, milk chocolate and dark 
chocolate mousse, topped with fresh whipped cream and chocolate curls

Pumpkin-Ginger Mousse with fresh whipped cream 
and candied ginger in mini pumpkins


Apple tarts with frangipan and apples in a chocolate tart and coated with praline crunch

Acorns!

I will continue to keep everyone updated. It can only get even better from here! 

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment